Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Week 1 Blog

 

Hello, my name is Trecia Genius, and I work as an Elementary educator in New Jersey and currently served as the facilitator of the academic committee. I have four years of experience teaching second grade, and this is my third year teaching fifth-grade Language Arts. It has been a great experience teaching, interacting, and learning from these young minds. 

As a change agent, I am passionate about impacting young minds as they develop the knowledge, skills, and discipline required to function and contribute to society as good citizens.

I am looking forward to see how the digital storytelling course will impact my abilities to improve the quality of Language Arts instruction and other content areas so as to maximize the learning experiences of the students. The story that I would like to explore is centered around the personal narrative of the loss of a love one or pop culture. This would also be a great opportunity for the students in my class to create a digital story based on their cultures or narratives as these are concepts currently being taught.

Based on the information that I have read about Digital Storytelling I will use it as a point of reference to compile a story that is authentic, creative, meaningful and one that will empower my audience.

The elements of digital storytelling resonate mostly with me because it serves as a guide to make a story successful. Also the research that discussed the traditional way in which someone is rated as being literate which is taking on a new approach to integrate aspect of technology competency to be regarded as literate is new to me so it is food for thought and is debatable as we continue in the twenty-first century.

Digital Storytelling also plays a significant role in curriculum instructions as it stimulate students critical thinking, promote discussions, allows students to explore and be creative.  Incorporating digital storytelling in lessons is an authentic approach that can engage students as they delved deeper into the content, enhance students learning as it enable differentiation and extend learning beyond the mere classroom and make connection globally. Utilizing this skill will also lends itself to job creation.

Educators would be enthused about enhancing their capabilities of gaining extended knowledge of the effectiveness of Digital Storytelling for project based learning especially for content area subjects.

Digital storytelling is a great way for educators to continue to have students interact with a variety of technology tools in a meaningful way that will impact on them holistically.

 

 

References

Kubravi, S. U., Shah, S. O., & Jan, K. (2018). Digital story telling: The impact on student academic achievement, critical thinking and learning motivation. International Journal of Research in Engineering, Science, and Management, 1(12), 787-791. www.ijresm.com

 Digital Storytelling Cookbook. Center for Digital Story Telling. Open Education Resource. https://wrd.as.uky.edu/sites/default/files/cookbook.pdf

 Shelby-Caffey, C., Úbéda, E., & Jenkins, B. (2014). Digital Storytelling Revisted: An Educator’s Use of an Innovative Literacy Practice. The Reading Teacher68(3), 191–199. http://www.jstor.org/stable/24573725

 Staley, B., & Freeman, L. A. (2017). Digital storytelling as student-centred pedagogy: empowering high school students to frame their futures. Research and practice in technology enhanced learning12(1), 21. https://doi.org/10.1186/s41039-017-0061-9

 

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Trecia,
    I enjoyed reading about your role as an elementary educator and your dedication to shaping young minds. Your idea of exploring personal narratives through digital storytelling (DST), particularly around themes like the loss of a loved one or pop culture, is both powerful and relatable for your fifth-grade students.
    Your other idea about incorporating students' cultures and personal stories can also enhance engagement by making learning meaningful and relevant. It would promote creativity and allow students to express themselves authentically, which can be incredibly empowering at their age.
    I agree with you on how traditional literacy is evolving to include technological competencies. By recognizing that literacy now encompasses digital skills underscores the importance of integrating DST into our teaching practices.
    To add further, I agree that DST can stimulate critical thinking, promote discussions, and support differentiation in learning. By adopting DST, you're not only enhancing your Language Arts instruction but also contributing to your students' overall holistic development.
    I'm sure your students will greatly benefit from this engaging and meaningful approach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trecia, I appreciate that you are willing to tackle such personal topics, like the loss of a loved one, as part of your digital storytelling. Those stories can make an emotional connection with your audience. You are focusing on telling authentic, creative, empowering stories that mirror our class goal of turning personal experiences into stories for others. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Digital Storytelling Final Project EDUC 533

  Digital Storytelling Final Project - EDUC 5333   Project Plan    “The Rise” is a personal narrative about overcoming a shattered dream tha...